Sunday, December 5, 2010

FINALLY!

Toot, Toot.

Then, another.  Toot, Toot.

Toot, Toot.

"Who would be texting me tonight in 3 succeeding blasts?" I thought to myself.

This is what I got:

"Nice half by phl.  Limited vie scoreles. D host team migt have 70% of d poss bt dat 1 breakaway was d key play of d half.  Phl bckline holdng up dspite numerous atacks frm d viets."

HUH?!  That cant be right?  So I go take a look who its from. 

Its from writing whiz JP Abcede.  And he was apparently watching the AFF Suzuki Cup hosted by the Viets.  The game was live (December 5, 2010).

Good thing I have access to Star Sports tonight, and what a great surprise.  The PH booters were surprisingly holding their own in this game.  I mean, REALLY!?

 
This game was capped off by a beautiful and methodical shot, pointblank, to the heart of the Vietnamese goal, courtesy of PHIL.  That's Phil Younghusband, to the uninitiated.

Potah, di ka lang guwapo, scorer ka pa pre!  Its now 2-0, in favor of PH.  And that was that.

Some observations: Many foreign-sounding names on the PH line-up - Younghusband, Greatwich, goalie Etheridge, and De Jong, who looks a lot like that character from Glee.

I guess, all those OFW's sent abroad, we are now reaping the benefits.  :-)  If we cant find sufficient locals to fill the team, then might as well look abroad.  Cool!  Basta Pinoy, ayos yan. 

I hope this is a sign of a renaissance of sorts for Philippine football.  I'm tired of reading about negative write-ups regarding the Philippine Football Federation.  They should get their acts together...and it seems they ARE!

Anyway, I'm tired of cheering for Brazil, or Germany, or whatever team in the World Cup.  Sana tayo din.  (Ok, before this sounds like an overzealous Pinoy's wishful thinking...it is just one game versus VIE...  Still, PH is on top of Group B...they tied SG with 1-1...so this maybe the real deal, folks!).
 I checked out the Suzuki Cup website, there's a nice article as well on their draw versus soccer powerhouse Singapore. Make clickie, right here.



To the boys of Simon McMenemy, take a bow.  Its a long way to go, but this is a great first step.

Go Pilipinas!


 XOXO,

GeloCim

No comments:

Post a Comment