Friday, October 7, 2011

Around Manila - UN Avenue, LRT, La Salle

The Acer Service Center at Paco, Manila (front of Robinson's Otis)
So, I had to hussle my ass to Manila this fine Friday morning, as I wanted to get my Acer laptop from the service center.

I didn't know there was a mall at Otis.  Then again, I dont really pass by this part of Manila often.
Its got a flickering LCD and my worst fears have been realized -- kailangan ko raw palitan ang LCD to the tune of Php 7,100 ++.  Ayos. 

Seeing as this was an old laptop, and probably needed replacing, I decided against their advise to replace the LCD.  Besides, these service centers have the habit of doing replacements when a little tinkering will do.  We can't blame them though, they gotta make money, ya know?

Inspired by my recent repair of the AC Adapter for the Acer (I paid Php300 instead of replacing it with a new one worth P1,000 to 1,500), I've decided to have somebody else take a look under the hood.  I'm also scouring the internet for 2nd hand LCD's that should work fine.

Anyway, going down the LRT at the UN Avenue station, I had myself a bit of a walk towards the service center (actually, medyo malayo na pala yun.  But great exercise, though).

 Besides, the best way to see a city (or to see a new side of it), is to walk through it.  That's what I did on my trips to Singapore.  Its really different when you take a taxi or the train or bus.  Walking is the way to go.  Walking is the only way to really appreciate a place.  Puede rin siguro bisikleta.  Ang importante malanghap ang hangin, kahit polluted pa yan.  :-)


I think the local govt or NGO's are cleaning up the esteros and the river.  I saw one near a school in Paco.  Good Job.



Sikh Temple along UN Avenue

Still the Sikh temple.  Beside the temple, I see some stalls selling what seems to be Indian snacks.  Must try those next time.

Multinational Unilever's offices and plant is along UN Avenue. 

 After I got my laptop, matalino na ako.  I took a tricycle to the LRT Station.  I got there in no time, and paid just Php20.00.

View of the other side of UN Avenue, as seen from the LRT-1
 The trains were packed.  I had to wait for the 2nd train before I got in.

UN Ave station, taken as the LRT was coming in.  From this picture di halatang maraming tao. 
 This reminds me of a video from Singapore, about citizens complaining about the packed MRT during rush hour.  Of course blame goes to the FT's (Foreign Talents) who they fear, are cramping their style and their jobs.  Maluwag pa ang MRT nila compared to ours.  haha.


Up in Arms:  This is a packed LRT on mid-day.  Iba pa pag rush hour sa hapon.
In fairness, malamig ang aircon and organized na rin, I guess.  The government should not have any trouble maintaining steady ridership even if they increase fares.  Sana nga lang, huwag biglaan kasi kawawa din naman talaga ang regular Juans and Pedros, riding this traffic-less mode of transport. 

The trains were so packed, nakasandal na itong lalaking ito sa may pintuan.
Also, a ride on the LRT wont be complete without a view of the De La Salle University.

To some its a monstrosity, to others,a renewal of our beloved DLSU Main/ Taft/ Manila campus
The construction of the Henry Sy Hall is in full swing, the building being named after the patriarch of the SM Group.  This is part of the centennial campus renewal/ development plan.  Unfortunately, we had to give up our beloved football field for this edifice.  I guess, we just need to trust our school leaders that they made the right decision.  Problema kasi dito, yun na nga lang ang malaking open space sa campus, nawala pa.

More on the renewal plan, here, and here.

Getting on the LRT at the Vito Cruz Station, is this kid.   Itong batang ito, hindi maliligaw, kasi alam nating lahat sa DLSU siya galing.  Jacket, baller, ID, Lanyard.  Brip at medyas siguro neto, La Salle din.






































The MRT wasn't any different, puno rin.

ugh.  Long lines at the MRT.

Queues kopo!
Despite the long queues at both the MRT and LRT, both remain efficient modes of transport.  Its good to hear that the DOTC under Mar Roxas has set up a plan to extend them and make them better. 











No comments:

Post a Comment