Saturday, January 8, 2011

Don Bosco is here for a visit - San Ildefonso Parish

San Juan Bosco with the boys
Saint John Bosco's relics are in town for a visit.  And what do I do when my patron saint just dropped by?  Why, go pay him a visit of course!

I was able to visit him first at the San Ildefonso Parish (SIP) in Makati, upon the prodding of my saintly brother Lex.

The San Ildefonso Parish (Bangkal, Makati)
As my "formative" years were spent in a Salesian school, and I have read-up on the man, he's actually pretty cool.  A person worth emulating.

He was born poor, became a priest despite all odds, and ministered to the street children in Italy.  He founded the Salesian order. 

Tight Schedule
At the SIP on the day after Christmas, the church wasn't so full but a lot of people came to visit.  I think my brother and I were just in time, as the program was just starting.

Lucky us.  Program hasn't started yet, so we can get a closer look.
It was his last day and he was being moved to a different location, another Salesian school I think.  Of course, a lot of people should get the chance to see him and say hello.   

Nice ride.
We got to touch the glass, housing his wax figure.  Inside it, is his right hand, coming from his urn in Italy, where he is buried.
The relic is inside this wax figure of Giovanni Bosco
From what I've read from the internet, the relics have come a long way, as it was coming off a Mexico and US trip before setting down in Southeast Asia.  Click here for more info.

My bro, at the San Ildefonso Parish.
A few clicks on our cellphone cameras, a quick prayer or two, and then we were off.  We were able to see a nice rondalla performance before leaving,  Overall, it was great.

                               

I'll see Don Bosco again, this time at my alma mater.  At DBTI- Makati, the atmosphere was more festive.

XOXO,

GeloCim

P.S.  What's all the fuss about old flesh doing a world tour, you ask?  Its time to read up on Catholic Relics. Check out this link.

A mother and his wheelchair-bound son, saying a short prayer.
An excerpt:
"Keep in mind what the Church says about relics. It doesn’t say there is some magical power in them... The Church just says that relics may be the occasion of God’s miracles, and in this the Church follows Scripture."

1 comment: